EU

EU
For main website please visit: www.mikeseumarathons.eu

Tuesday 9 September 2014

The (basic) idea!

To successfully complete a marathon in every country within the EU before I die!

Currently that's 28 Marathons, most likely 1 or 2 per year for the foreseeable.  Kind of hoping there's not too many more nations joining the union anytime soon, I will be watching with interest!

The countries in question;

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK

Why?

Few reasons really:

  • I really like running
  • I like getting medals
  • I'm slightly masochistic
  • I want to be remembered for being more than just the guy who used to drink a lot of cider
  • I'm the most stubborn person I know and once I've decided to do this I won't be backing out

What's involved:

Really 'only' 3 months of training once a year which will most likely consist of 3-4 nights a week of about an hour's running then a big run on the weekend (10-20 miles)

Am not looking to beat times or break records, I've got a partially torn right cruciate so I need to be careful as my lovely NHS physio did advise no more long distance running.  I do however want to look back in my (hopefully) old age and see how I conquered Europe like the Roman Empire.

Charity:

Yep of course.  For now I'm selecting Invest In ME (www.investinme.org) which is a cause close to my heart and one I've helped out before (www.92in92.blogspot.co.uk), will set up the JustGiving page nearer the time of the next race.

When I say 'for now' this is because if I'm going to be running for the next 25 years then I would imagine my choice might change depending upon what happens to me over this time.  Also I would hope and expect that ME will be a curable illness by the time I am done with this challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment